Sweet potato and cauliflower bake from Cyrenians Good Food
Edinburgh Cyrenians Good Food Programme is all about demystifying cooking. Using food saved from waste by FareShare, people who have been homeless and have never cooked before are taught how to whip up a meal from scratch by the end of the eight week course.
These skills open up low cost dinner options, something that can be life changing for those with low incomes. Try out their popular bake recipe below.
- 2 large sweet potatoes or potatoes
- 25g butter/margarine
- 25g flour
- 1/2 pint milk (semi skimmed)
- 125g cheddar cheese
- 1 small cauliflower
- 3 tablespoon fresh chives (optional)
- 3 spring onions
- 2 slices bacon (optional)
Serves: 2 Prep 10 mins Cooking 70 mins
- Turn the oven on to 200°C (Gas Mark 6).
- Cut potatoes into biggish chunks (peel if using sweet potatoes).
- Toss in a little olive oil and roast in the preheated oven until cooked (about 40 minutes).
- Put the butter, flour and milk into a small pan and whisk over a gentle heat until thickened (about 5 minutes). Season and stir in 50g cheese and the chives.
- Cut the cauliflower into florets and boil until just beginning to go soft. Drain off the water.
- Meanwhile grill the bacon (if using) and slice into small pieces.
- Chop the spring onions.
- Place all the ingredients in an ovenproof dish and top with the sauce.
- Sprinkle on remaining cheese and bake for about 30 minutes.